The District of Columbia Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (DC STIP) is a federally required multi-year listing of all upcoming projects that will be funded with federal dollars.
The DC STIP is a key tool that demonstrates how the vision of moveDC, the District’s Long-Range Multimodal Transportation Plan, is being achieved. The DC STIP tracks federally funded and regionally-significant projects that directly address the transportation needs of the District. DDOT commits to serving the public, achieving moveDC goals, and meeting federal regulations by adhering to this program.
DDOT prepares the DC STIP, in cooperation with other local and regional agencies, and with a wide range of stakeholder and public input. The most current version is the District of Columbia Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 - 2022 STIP.
The DC STIP is updated every two years.
As the first step of each DC STIP update, DDOT identifies programs and projects to be funded with federal dollars. This includes projects currently being funded and new projects that DDOT identifies from an internal Call for Projects.
Next, DDOT evaluates and prioritizes all projects to develop a draft list that best aligns with the moveDC vision to provide exceptional travel choices and aligns with federal funding program requirements.
After considering public input, DDOT finalizes the list for inclusion in the DC STIP and submits the document to the Mayor, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) for approval.
The DC STIP process also includes coordination with regional partners. Project that are regionally significant are typically included in both the DC STIP and in the region’s six-year Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). The TIP is prepared by the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG) National Capital Region Transportation Planning Board (TPB).
Thank you for your participation in the DC STIP process. Your comments and feedback were essential to developing the DC STIP.
The public comment period is currently closed. Review the previous public meeting materials now.
District of Columbia
Fiscal Year (FY)
2018 – 2022 STIP
- Final FY 2018-2022 DC STIP
- Final FY 2018-2022 DC STIP Appendices
- Final FY 2018-2022 Project List
- Draft FY 2018-2022 Project List
- Take Our Online Survey
- Open House Presentation (10/02/17)
- Open House Boards (10/02/17)
PREVIOUS STIP RESOURCES
- FY 2015-2021 STIP
- FY 2015-2021 STIP Signed Approval Request Letter
- FY 2015-2021 STIP Signed Approval Letter
- FY 2015-2021 Public Comments Summary
- 2015 Annual Obligations Report
- FY 2015-2021 STIP Project Maps by Ward
OTHER RELEVANT RESOURCES
- moveDC Long-Range Multimodal Transportation Plan
- DDOT Transportation Capital Budget Plans
- National Capital Region Constrained Long-Range Plan
- National Capital Region Transportation Improvement Program
- Transportation Planning Board
- Federal Statewide Transportation Planning Guidance
- FHWA and FTA Statewide Transportation Planning and Metropolitan Transportation Planning Final Rule